I see Olive failed as a med restaurant too and has shut down. Under new owners and will be re-opening soon as a Turkish restaurant/cafe.
Shops coming to Penge soon
-
Bovine Juice
- Posts: 278
- Joined: 14 Oct 2007 11:35
- Location: Penge
Shops coming to Penge soon
Cash Converters...
Never a good sign when one of them opens on your high street...
I see Olive failed as a med restaurant too and has shut down. Under new owners and will be re-opening soon as a Turkish restaurant/cafe.
I see Olive failed as a med restaurant too and has shut down. Under new owners and will be re-opening soon as a Turkish restaurant/cafe.
-
bigbadwolf
- Posts: 726
- Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
- Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham
It's difficult for a "successful" high street to change its spots. I used to live not far from Kilburn High Road, and was fascinating to see the housing around it morph into "West-West Hampstead" while chi-chi delis and shops popped up in little side streets in Queens Park and Maida Vale. Throughout, the high road itself remained resolutely grotty & grim.
This is what gives me hope for Sydenham Road. Its lack of retail success should translate into the cheaper rents, which in turn should give some more creative/eccentric business owners the courage to set up a shop. Similar things happened to Columbia Road in East London and Chamberlain Road in West London - the big "high streets" remained grotty, but the little side commercial streets became very interesting indeed.
This is what gives me hope for Sydenham Road. Its lack of retail success should translate into the cheaper rents, which in turn should give some more creative/eccentric business owners the courage to set up a shop. Similar things happened to Columbia Road in East London and Chamberlain Road in West London - the big "high streets" remained grotty, but the little side commercial streets became very interesting indeed.
Trouble is there aren't that many empty shops in Sydenham.
Unless M&S or Waitrose go into the Greyhound site (or someone comes up with a great way of getting all business owners and landlords to come together to detail a strategy for how the high street should evolve) don't expect the high street to change in Sydenham much, if at all.
Anyone notice Paulros has closed down and yet another security shutter has been installed making it look even more like a no go area at night.
It really is depressing. Especially with places that look like Candies opening up. Not good news. We need a good mix of businesses and some better quality ones to get people into the high street.
Unless M&S or Waitrose go into the Greyhound site (or someone comes up with a great way of getting all business owners and landlords to come together to detail a strategy for how the high street should evolve) don't expect the high street to change in Sydenham much, if at all.
Anyone notice Paulros has closed down and yet another security shutter has been installed making it look even more like a no go area at night.
It really is depressing. Especially with places that look like Candies opening up. Not good news. We need a good mix of businesses and some better quality ones to get people into the high street.
@ leenewham and generally: Paulros is alive and kicking. It was perhaps closed for a little while during the revamp of their shop. That makes me wonder if you ever buy anything from shops you refer to?Anyone notice Paulros has closed down and yet another security shutter has been installed making it look even more like a no go area at night.
Paulros offer goods that I'm happy to buy as needed and I'll happily continue shopping there. Hopefully others will too now it's business as usual again
Hi Mosy,
glad you cleared that up. Do I buy stuff in shops I refer to? What do you mean? Which shops? A lot of the ones I refer to are shut!
I have been in Paulros but I didn't buy anything. I buy stuff from Mustis and a few other places in the high street. I'm sure Paulros are very thankful for your trade.
glad you cleared that up. Do I buy stuff in shops I refer to? What do you mean? Which shops? A lot of the ones I refer to are shut!
I have been in Paulros but I didn't buy anything. I buy stuff from Mustis and a few other places in the high street. I'm sure Paulros are very thankful for your trade.
-
bigbadwolf
- Posts: 726
- Joined: 7 Jan 2008 21:21
- Location: Forest Hill and Sydenham
Paulros sell what they sell and some (including me) clearly wish to buy their goods otherwise it would indeed be an empty shop. I thought you'd all appreciate a correction that they are still in business, whether as a shopper or someone not wanting to see another empty shop given this forum promotes local businesses doesn't it?
It's perhaps a sign of the times that they have installed a new roller shutter for use after closing time/overnight.
It's perhaps a sign of the times that they have installed a new roller shutter for use after closing time/overnight.