Beckenham Odeon to close

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Post Reply
alywin
Posts: 967
Joined: 27 Aug 2009 12:33
Location: No longer in Sydenham

Beckenham Odeon to close

Post by alywin »

The News Shopper and various other sites are reporting that Beckenham Odeon is to close later this year. I can't access the report, but there is talk of it being converted into a church. It may affect people in Sydenham less, but the loss will be pretty devastating: we've already lost the Picturehouse in Bromley and the Vue in central Croydon, so to lose this too will really leave outer South London pretty much a desert in terms of cinemas. I know there is still a Vue in Bromley, but frankly even going in there makes me feel sick, and I know I'm not the only one. The cinemas in Crystal Palace and East Dulwich are pretty much non-starters for the majority of people in Bromley Borough as they're hardly accessible.

There will be a public consultation on 10th October: https://www.beckenham.site/
JMLF
Posts: 647
Joined: 12 Dec 2013 19:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Beckenham Odeon to close

Post by JMLF »

That would absolutely suck :( as you said the loss of screens over the years has been really sad to see and this one was super convenient for Sydenham.

The article suggests that a Church (the one directly opposite the Odeon on rectory road) owns the property and have decided to make it into their main base as they’ve outgrown their location. If that is the case, I’m guessing sadly (from my POV) not much can be done if they own the property and essentially just decide they want to start using it themselves.

To end on a slightly happier note as you said l, although they are at two ends of the spectrum at least we do have Bromley and CP which aren’t too far depending on where you live (and East Dulwich/Peckham/Brixton too which are all one train or bus to in not too* long time).
alywin
Posts: 967
Joined: 27 Aug 2009 12:33
Location: No longer in Sydenham

Re: Beckenham Odeon to close

Post by alywin »

Sadly, not from where I now live. Two or even 3 buses required. Not the sort of thing you want to be doing late evening.

BTW, our local MP has been quick off the mark: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/planned ... e-your-say
stuart
Posts: 3717
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: Beckenham Odeon to close

Post by stuart »

For Sydenham the 176 stops right outside East Dulwich Picturehouse and the Sydenham to Victoria train is convenient for West Norwood Picturehouse. Vue is a lot more expensive especially for people of more mature years. Saw The Odyssey for £4 in Dulwich on one of their special offers. IMHO ihat film ain't worth more >:-(
alywin
Posts: 967
Joined: 27 Aug 2009 12:33
Location: No longer in Sydenham

Re: Beckenham Odeon to close

Post by alywin »

Yes, but unfortunately I don't live in Sydenham any more, hence my comment about multiple buses ... And I never liked travelling home from Dulwich late at night anyway.
Just John
Posts: 95
Joined: 7 Jan 2022 12:54

Re: Beckenham Odeon to close

Post by Just John »

alywin wrote: 27 Sep 2026 23:37 Yes, but unfortunately I don't live in Sydenham any more, hence my comment about multiple buses ... And I never liked travelling home from Dulwich late at night anyway.
get a car. You know it makes sense. Sydenham is the forgotten land as far as the President of Khanistan is concerned.

London Borough of Lewisham with only one, somewhat inaccessible, bus service to the place. Meanwhile the cinema at Crystal Palace is very easy to access. Why do you feel unsafe travelling on buses in the area? I know the answer but it would not please the chatterartie.
Post Reply